Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soldering butt joints [was wire splice]

On 9/13/2008 1:43 PM Blattus Slafaly spake thus:

rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

I solder them instead of butt connectors. The rest just like you. To
minimize bulge I just push the stranded wires together tips to tips so
they mesh together like brushes then apply solder. That way I know they
won't pull apart and won't heat up due to lack of good connection.
If there is only 3 feet to the end of the cord or less I just snip it
and move the plug.

Funny thing: I must be a little obsessive-compulsive about it, because I
can't bring myself to make a butt connection any way other than the way
I've always done it: by wrapping the ends around the other wire, then
soldering. I'm sure your way is just as strong as mine, but I've never
done it that way (your way is probably less bulky as well).

- Paulo Freire