Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default wire splice

On Sep 13, 2:49*pm, "rb" wrote:
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. *I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Not complete info to go on!

This looks a bit like a troll or posted by a very nontechnical person?

Presuming it is posting about AC extension cords operating at (North
America = 115 volts AC) and elsewhere, (perhaps = 230 volts AC) and
are probably chopping into them with an electric lawn mower or such?

Constantly cutting them suggests poor work planning???????

For example: Noticed new neighbour going length-ways on his lawn,
using an electric mower, having to constantly move over and/or cut
past (or even over) his extension cord! Why he didn't cut back and
forth away from the outlet thereby dragging the cord further away each
time is a wonder.

Or he could have extended his cord with another and flaked it out so
it it was at mid point of his line of cutting and he was cutting
'away' from that?

General Rule: DO NOT (for permanent use) JOIN such portable cable/
extension cords (or whatever they are called in your neck of the
woods)!

Do not ever rely on taping except for 'maybe' a very temporary (couple
of hours until stores open) repair! Never use tape in a damp/wet
location

As a temporary measure we have used either those crimp connectors (of
appropriate wire gauge size) and/or soldering the wires, 'staggering'
the joins so they are not alongside each other and to minimize the
bulk of the splice.

Each wire connection is covered with at least one layer of heat shrink
tubing. Preferably the type that has an internal gel that surrounds
the wire join as it shrinks. Also helps waterproof the now suspect
connection.

Then the 'group' of connections, usually live black, white neutral and
green ground in North America; or brown live, blue neutral and yellow/
green in say Europe, are then sleeved with at least two layers of
larger size heat shrink tubing to help protect and strengthen the join/
s. We have also used the larger size heat shrink to protect a chafe or
cut of the outside of such an extension cord/wiring to prevent further
damage. However you cannot do this if the moulded on ends are till
intact, unless you cut of one and install a new 'end' at typical cost
(North America) of around $3 to $5.