Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Barr Robert Barr is offline

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

The dude wrote:
I am thinking the same thing...

It is a rectangular 3.5 acre lot.

I guess most of the expense is the drawing and certification?

That, and the unseen effort. A good survey includes research of
adjoining parcels and their legal descriptions, compared to what's
actually measured on the ground. A competent surveyor will measure more
or less a city block in each direction, perhaps more depending on the
original layout.

Inevitably, there will be some discrepancy. A land surveyor experienced
with work in your area will know how to handle this, because he or she
will have an idea of how your neighborhood was laid out to begin with.

A cheap survey is like a discount parachute. If you do it at all, get
an experienced pro with a license. Any other survey is worth less than
a roll of Charmin.

You might get away without a survey; it's your gamble, and you might be
OK. If you can locate AND TRUST your existing markers (known as
monumentation) and compare them to your original lot survey (and NOT the
so-called 'mortgage survey'), you might be OK.

IF you decide to get it surveyed, don't screw around. Hire a pro with a
license and a reputation. This will cost, and it will be worth it.