Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Fancy wire rope ends?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:39:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:31:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip

I trode across a suspension footbridge (The Swinging Bridge over the
Illinois River in Kerby, OR) yesterday and admired the engineering.
12x12" uprights about 20' tall and 1" galv steel wire ropes supporting
about an 80' span. I wonder how far they had to sink the terminations
to support that structure...

Oh, sink the terminations? You mean, like, in concrete? Oh. We were
supposed
to do that?...

I believe that it would have "fall down, go boom" long before now if
they hadn't done that, Ed.

I found a nice secluded "beach" and took a dip in the nice, refreshing
(70F or better) river yesterday. It was great. I need to get out and
do more hiking before it gets cold and wet to do so this year. It give
me and my Nikon more exercise.

'Beats hanging around here. If my freaking eyes were better (my sixth laser
eye surgery is tomorrow -- I may or may not be able to see the screen until
Saturday),

SIXTH? What hack are you going to, sir? Are you flying to Tijuana,
B.C. for the $49.99 specials, or what?

My BIL got his done on Base and the surgeon accidentally tore the flap
off during his RK procedure. It's no big deal, except it increases the
pain level about six hundred percent. I hope to never, -ever- hear a
doctor say "Oops!" during my visit to him.

if the tendonitis in my right Achilles heel wasn't keeping me

I finally figured out that the patellar tendinitis in my right knee
was only a food allergy. Whenever I eat corn and hot sauce at the same
time, my knee gives me all sorts of grief. Neither one by itself
affects me nearly as much. I had already discovered my allergy to the
Nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, chiles, peppers, and eggplant)
and have been a much happier man in the past 17 years. I'd be willing
to bet that a majority of people's illnesses is due to food allergies
and urge you to go see a WooWoo Doctor (as my BIL called them, aka a
kinesiologist) or Naturopath, for testing. An old girlfriend's mother
was studying to become a Naturopath and tested me for free, finding my
nightshade plant allergies. I have half again more energy now with
those foods out of my body, and my arthritis pain level is markedly
decreased. I'm just now getting over my allergy to potatoes.
Ahhh--Potato chips again! (in moderation)

When I eat hot sauce, and I still love Mexican food, I notice all
sorts of muscle aches. I think it releases lactic acid in my muscles,
as if I'd overexerted myself (think a day of horseback riding after 20
years of not doing so, then remember what your inner thigh muscles
felt like afterwards.) Not a pretty picture.

Tomatoes give my entire body an acid condition and I feel 40 years
older than I am in my joints and muscles. That was the largest problem
in my allergies.

Potatoes used to give me horrible aches in the intestines as they were
processed.

If any of this sounds familiar, try getting tested for food allergies
by the WooWoos. I gare-on-TEE that you'll not regret having done so.

from walking (literally), and if a few other things weren't barking and
screaming at me, I'd be on the beach surf casting for bluefish, myself.

It's hell gettin' old, ain't it?

However, being temporarily blind (five times in the past two months) is very
interesting. You really can think clearly without the distraction of seeing
things. I had hope for Michael in that regard but it seems to have had the
opposite effect on him.

MT? Yeah, I plonked him long ago for is recto-cranial inversion
problem. John joined him yesterday. Life's too short to suffer fools.

Are there any fish in that river? If so, why are you wasting your time
splashing around in it?

Nothing much. Just salmon and steelhead at various times of the year.
I haven't been much of a fisherman since I turned teen, though.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln