Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Copper pipe epoxy relining opinions - does anyone have actual experience?

Gershon wrote in
:

But you'll spend at least half as much on a half-baked, cockamamie
idea and end up redoing the house anyway?

So far I have exactly one data point about one house that was redone.
I'm looking for more data points to see whether there is a trend.
Opinions about the pros and cons do have value - yet they are just
that, opinions. First hand experience carries more weight in my book.
I'm not trying to defend epoxy relining. Just trying to collect real
information about it. Do most customers love the result? Do most
customers hate the result? Etc.

Regards
GS

So far I have exactly one data point

Well, if I asked for testimonials on the thrill of burning your own $20
bills and got no responses, isn't that a data point(s)?

Two points makes a line. Three points makes a trend.

Data point one - You asked the plumber and he said No F'n Way.
Data point two - You asked here and got no testimonials. Msg could be
no one is stupid enough to TRY something at that cost.
Data point three: - TBD?

Personally, I never heard of this epoxy thing but I'm not overly
plumbing savy. Suppose you want to make a change. add-on, replace a
leaky valve, etc at a later time. I would think if you put a torch to
these lined pipes the goop inside the pipe would just melt and ball up
someplace causing further restriction. Maybe everything has to be
compression in the future?

Another thought is what if you ever sell. This an item that must be
disclosed I wonder? Even if an RE person said no, I know if I bought a
place, had some plumbing-101 work done and it blocked up the pipes
because it was gooped up inside, I'd think lawyer at that cost of
remedy. Residential lined pipes as a "patch" is highly unconventional
and out of profile IMHO.