Posted to alt.home.repair
Gershon Gershon is offline

Default Copper pipe epoxy relining opinions - does anyone have actualexperience?

Our copper pipes are developing pinhole leaks - usual story. Got epoxy
relining estimates from the big names - Ace DuraFlo, NuFlow, CuraFlo.
They are similarly priced +/- 10% of each other. I understand why,
when done well, this process would solve the problem with minimal
hassle. Here's the issue. They show a small piece of copper, perfectly
coated in lab conditions with a smooth, thin epoxy layer and explain
that's "more or less" what my pipes will look like when they're done.
The rub is - nobody can't tell because you don't actually open the
relined pipes to look inside.
Today a plumber came in for an unrelated issue and I asked him about
this epoxy relining. He said "give me a minute", ran to his car and
brought back a piece of copper pipe relined with white epoxy. It
looked quite bad inside. The white epoxy filled ~1/2 the pipe,
probably the bottom half of a horizontal line. The upper half of the
pipe was coated with ~1/16" thick material. All of it was wavy,
nothing smooth there. The end result: epoxy reduced the original 3/4"
pipe to an effective 1/2" or so. The guy said a lady paid Ace Duraflo
quite a bit to have her house epoxy-relined and then was fed up with
the problem and paid the plumbers to yank it all out and reline the
entire house with brand new copper. They kept samples to show around.

This may be reality or it may be non-typical. Before spending 9-10K on
our house, we thought we would look for actual opinions on the forum.
Did you have your copper pipes epoxy-relined? By whom? Can you share
your experience with us?

Thanks
GS