Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default protecting pipes from freezing with electric heat

roamic wrote:
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

Generally there's enough heat transfer through floors and so on that
basements in occupied heated dwellings don't get cold enough to freeze
pipes unless they're outside supplies or very infrequently used so water
stays stagnant in them for long periods.

I'd simply monitor the situation and then take whatever action seemed
mandatory at the time if it turned out to be a problem.