Posted to alt.home.repair

Default protecting pipes from freezing with electric heat

I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

roamic wrote:
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

Generally there's enough heat transfer through floors and so on that
basements in occupied heated dwellings don't get cold enough to freeze
pipes unless they're outside supplies or very infrequently used so water
stays stagnant in them for long periods.

I'd simply monitor the situation and then take whatever action seemed
mandatory at the time if it turned out to be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

roamic wrote:
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

Hi,
Doesn't your basement have adequate insuslation? Is standing water in
the pipes? There is such thing as electrical heat tape for pipes.
My cabin has a crawl space(not full basement) which is very well
insulated. Water is coming from a well. Never experienced frozen pipes.
Outside temp. in the dead winter can reach down to -35 deg. F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"roamic" wrote in message
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

The power company switches between coal, natural gas, and oil depending on
the current cost to fuel a fire to boil water to make steam. The steam is
used to turn generators. The power from the generators is then transmitted
over great distance through a network of wires to get to your building. Now
you want to turn that electricity back into the heat that it started as. Do
you really think that is more efficient than lighting a fire in your own
boiler and making your own heat?

Look at improving insulation and air leaks in your building. Insulate your
pipes. Get a higher efficiency boiler. Maybe have more zones added.
Switching to electric heat will not be the answer to your high heating
bills.

To answer your question, you would probably need to insulate the pipes and
add electric heat in the area of the pipes to keep them from freezing.
Depending on the piping arrangement and quantity you may be able to use heat
tape which does not consume a lot of electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Grabowski wrote:
The power company switches between coal, natural gas, and oil depending
on the current cost to fuel a fire to boil water to make steam. The
steam is used to turn generators. The power from the generators is then
transmitted over great distance through a network of wires to get to
your building. Now you want to turn that electricity back into the heat
that it started as. Do you really think that is more efficient than
lighting a fire in your own boiler and making your own heat?

Not for any one generation unit, they don't switch indiscriminately, no.

It may not be as efficient overall, but it's more efficient at the end
user and may well be cheaper depending on local rates as opposed to fuel
oil costs. Ain't necessarily so, but ain't necessarily not, either...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 7:47*pm, roamic wrote:
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

Every area has different electric costs and most areas are going up,
you have to compare your own fuel costs and boiler efficency to see if
your area is actualy cheaper on electric. Where I am electric is still
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 9:10*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

The power company switches between coal, natural gas, and oil depending on
the current cost to fuel a fire to boil water to make steam. *The steam is
used to turn generators. *The power from the generators is then transmitted
over great distance through a network of wires to get to your building. *Now
you want to turn that electricity back into the heat that it started as. *Do
you really think that is more efficient than lighting a fire in your own
boiler and making your own heat?

You disregard the existence of hydroelectric, nuclear and other power
sources, so your argument may not hold for everyone. I agree with the
rest of what you said, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well they are electric heaters specially made for that,
rap around and they have they own Thermostat.
If you are Fred in winter pipe freezing up you can always
leave some water running (trickle) doing bad days
and that will solve you problem.

"roamic" wrote in message
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 8:47*pm, roamic wrote:
I just read an article that with today's oil prices, it would be
cheaper to heat with electric baseboard heat, than with an oil boiler.

I have a building with electric baseboard heaters.

but if I use them, how do I keep the pipes in the basement from
freezing?

Before proceeding, I would double check those numbers. While in
some areas that could very well be true, in most areas it would not
apply. So was that article based on the same supplies you use for
electric and oil? Have you checked the cost estimates for next year
for your area? Also be sure to factor in the cost of new equipment.

Freezing pipes Ben UK diy 12 August 14th 07 05:50 PM
Freezing pipes ******************************************************* Rettgerinc Metalworking 25 January 4th 05 02:59 AM
freezing pipes... Phants Metalworking 8 January 2nd 05 03:30 AM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM