Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Hardwood flooring installation - 15# felt vs red rosin paper

On Sep 9, 9:01*pm, "joe" wrote:
I've used rosin paper as underlayment on many floors. *What I'd been told
was that it acted as a moisture retarder rather than a moisture or vapor
barrier.

Recently, I was told that termites *love* the red rosin paper by a
professional installer. *"Everywhere we've torn up an old floor and found
termites, they've been into that rosin paper". *Now, there's a wooden
subfloor below the rosin paper and a wooden floor above it, so did the
termites really even have the ability to *avoid* getting into the paper? *Or
does the paper actually *attract* termites?

This is all completly disregarding any of the noise/ease of installation
advantages/disadvantages of one underlayment vs. the other.

Appreciate any advice,

Jc

Why bother with underlayment at all?