Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hardwood flooring installation - 15# felt vs red rosin paper

I've used rosin paper as underlayment on many floors. What I'd been told
was that it acted as a moisture retarder rather than a moisture or vapor
barrier.

Recently, I was told that termites *love* the red rosin paper by a
professional installer. "Everywhere we've torn up an old floor and found
termites, they've been into that rosin paper". Now, there's a wooden
subfloor below the rosin paper and a wooden floor above it, so did the
termites really even have the ability to *avoid* getting into the paper? Or
does the paper actually *attract* termites?

This is all completly disregarding any of the noise/ease of installation
advantages/disadvantages of one underlayment vs. the other.

Appreciate any advice,

Jc

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 9, 9:01*pm, "joe" wrote:
I've used rosin paper as underlayment on many floors. *What I'd been told
was that it acted as a moisture retarder rather than a moisture or vapor
barrier.

Recently, I was told that termites *love* the red rosin paper by a
professional installer. *"Everywhere we've torn up an old floor and found
termites, they've been into that rosin paper". *Now, there's a wooden
subfloor below the rosin paper and a wooden floor above it, so did the
termites really even have the ability to *avoid* getting into the paper? *Or
does the paper actually *attract* termites?

This is all completly disregarding any of the noise/ease of installation
advantages/disadvantages of one underlayment vs. the other.

Appreciate any advice,

Jc

Why bother with underlayment at all?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"jim" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 9:01 pm, "joe" wrote:
I've used rosin paper as underlayment on many floors. What I'd been told
was that it acted as a moisture retarder rather than a moisture or vapor
barrier.

Recently, I was told that termites *love* the red rosin paper by a
professional installer. "Everywhere we've torn up an old floor and found
termites, they've been into that rosin paper". Now, there's a wooden
subfloor below the rosin paper and a wooden floor above it, so did the
termites really even have the ability to *avoid* getting into the paper?
Or
does the paper actually *attract* termites?

This is all completly disregarding any of the noise/ease of installation
advantages/disadvantages of one underlayment vs. the other.

Appreciate any advice,

Jc

Why bother with underlayment at all?

Because wood is hygroscopic.

jc

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Sep 9, 9:09*pm, "joe" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

[...]

Depends on the humidity level. I assumed it was a barrier against dust
and to keep the squeeks down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 6:09*pm, "joe" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On Sep 9, 9:01 pm, "joe" wrote:

[...]

jc- Hide quoted text -

And no paper will make any difference or matter at all.