Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
The Hurdy Gurdy Man The Hurdy Gurdy Man is offline

Default Fancy wire rope ends?

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I bought one, couldn't find 5/32" wire rope in the junk pile so tried
it on 3/16", and messed up the weak spring that holds the clamp jaws.
Now the jaws don't stay in place so I haven't been able to test it for
strength.

So it sounds like they're about par for the course with most Harbor Freight
items. I am mostly looking at them for some purely cosmetic applications,
nothing where any sort of significant load would be applied. If safety
were a factor I would absolutely look elsewhere, but at the moment I'm just
tryin to find something that's "pretty" and not terribly expensive with
perhaps some better quality than what Harbor Freight is normally known for.
I really like the Sta-Lok ones, but the price is just way too high (although
the quality is most likely there).