Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Flansburg Paul Flansburg is offline

Default What is the typical underlayment for hardwood flooring?

On Sep 7, 7:37*pm, The dude wrote:
I will be installing some pre-finished hardwood floors on the second
story bedrooms.

This will replace the existing carpet.

I was looking at the thicker solid type prefinished.

Is it just a type of tar paper over the existing plywood? *Or is there
more to it.

Just put down a Bruce 3/4" hardwood floor. Used the red resin paper
also. One thing that I did do was to locate all of the floor joist
and screw the decking to them. This will eliminate squeaks both
present and future. I eliminated a ton of squeaks, mostly in the
kitchen. Floors look awesome....

paul