Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default burnt 3 pin plug.

wrote in message
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.

What could cause this to happen?

Thanks,
Mark.

I find the 'modern' plugs with the 'half plastic' pins seem to get a lot
hotter when used on higher power items like fan heaters and other things
with elements in, like your washing machine. I suppose it isn't possible to
get the old, all brass items any more though.

If you don't have RCD protection, you may find that you have an earth leak
in the machine itself if the element is on the way out (RCD would trip out
when you switched on the machine if there was such a leak.)