Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_3_] Jeff[_3_] is offline

Default What is the typical underlayment for hardwood flooring?

I would think the underpad and carpet coming out would be pretty close to
the 3/4" floor going in. How old is the house? Chances are the carpet is
installed directly on plywood or OSB that is your subfloor, you don't want
to remove that. If you didn't fall through it with carpet then its plenty
adequate to put your wood floor onto. I've read that staples work better for
OSB and nails are better for wood/plywood. I used the red resin paper, some
say it isn't necessary but its cheap anyway.

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Red Green wrote:
The dude wrote in news:jIWdnaauRdI5-
:

I will be installing some pre-finished hardwood floors on the second
story bedrooms.

This will replace the existing carpet.

I was looking at the thicker solid type prefinished.

Is it just a type of tar paper over the existing plywood? Or is there
more to it.

In this particular case, the mfgrs instructions for the particular
flooring over a particular existing flooring type is what you really need
to follow. They should know their product best as well as following it
will keep the warranty valid if it's worth anything to start with.

FWIW, back in the stone age, for Bruce 3/4 T&G, we always used the red
resin paper. The black stuff stinks too much. They told us it was to cut
down on squeaking. Local real dealer (not big-box) or manufacturer web
site, will have the spec sheet for installation. Note that if the rooms
are now carpeted, with no hardwood underneath, there is likely a layer of
particle board or something that will need to come up, to keep floor from
getting taller and interfering with doors, baseboards, and such. If house
has forced-air heat, pull up a register and peek in there with a mirror
and a flashlight to see what you are dealing with.

--
aem sends...