Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default burnt 3 pin plug.

wrote:
On 9 Sep, 11:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
I was moving a washing machibe in a friends flat last night, and I
noticed that the 3 pin plug has signs of burning around the live and
neutral pins - not too serious - just enough to discolour the plastic
and turn it brown.
What could cause this to happen?
Thanks,
Mark.

Corrosion in the socket and on the plug. Causes arcing RF interference
and heat.

Really replace both plug AND socket. It's not *likely* to catch fire,
but its happened..

Thanks!

Yes. Although a really mean DIYer will fiddle clean tighten and re-use,
frankly if a plug/socket is gone that far, I say spend a little money
and do the job properly.

Its not as if a 13A plug and a quailty 13A faceplate are going to set
you back much more than a tenner is it?