Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default part P & house alterations

any & all pointers gratefully received for:-

house changes - moving stairs, moving stud partitions to create
bedrooms, creating a showeroom (no electric shower planned), a
cloakroom, new CH boiler (oil), smoke alarm.

Bregs full plans approved - about to start work.
Current conusmer unit is old wylex but with MCBs - no RCDs....

Checked with Council Building Ctrl - it seems I am OK to do all
electrics concerned with above inckuding cloakroom (as they are
"extensions to existing circuits") excep showeroom extractor fan and
light fall under PartP.

Q1) Pre PartP I was confident in my ability to undertake
straightforward wiring jobs - new lights, sockets etc. Even though
these new jobs are non-notifiable what other regs and "standards" of
installation should/do I have to work to nowadays?

Q2) Sparky #1 has been to look at the spaces where the showeroom and
smoke alarm will be and sucked a lot of teeth about lack of RCDs on
CU, lack of bonding for existing bathroom, (and muttered about me
wanting to do the rest myself) - what should I be looking to do/get
done for this aspect to get it signed off by BCO, and what should it
cost?

Q3) can the new oil boiler operate off one of "my" circuit extensions
(given that I do any!) or is there more red tape there too?

ta for any help
Jim