Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default 2-prong to 3-prong

"TWayne" wrote in :

To be a bit more accurate, this thread was started by a guy who claims
that he installs home computers and that because he "didn't know what
else (to) do, (he) removed the grounding prongs from a six-splitter".
BTW - prongs? plural? Interesting. I think this guy has more to worry
about than the computer he supposedly installed.

Why is that so "interesting"? I have two "six splitters", and each of
them have two earth pins. It helps keep the frame sturdy and in
position. Because you haven't seen something means it can not exist, I
guess.
And, the "guy", if that's accurate, was an idiot also.

His claim about what he does is really the only thing I commented on
until you asked to be shown AC wires inside a computer and claimed
that "most" cases were non-metalic.

Do I think that people are dropping dead from computer chassis
electrocutions because they are not grounded? Nope.

It only has to happen once. Grab a faulted ungrounded chassis and
anything else that is grounded, and if you're smart enough, you know
what will happen.

Do I think the guy should be worried? Only about his job...assuming
he's not a troll.

It's amazing that your average guy will long humorous list
snipped

Anybody that can do all of the things you listed is *way* above
average.

(Posted from home, on 1 of my 3 metal skinned systems, via
Googlegroups because I - oh never mind.)

Because you don't know how to use a new reader; just admit it.

Because you don't know how to use a new reader; just admit it

I wouldn't want to admit to something that wasn't true...sure didn't
take me too long to figure out how to use this one.

I have two "six splitters", and each of them have two earth pins.

Had to think about that one for a minute. When I picture the type of
"six-splitter" a computer installer would typically use, I picture a 6
receptacle surge protector with a cord, not one of those 6 outlet
devices you plug directly into the receptacle. I see how that would have
2 ground prongs, I even have one lying around someplace. However, I
still don't see a legitimate computer installer using one, much less
cutting off the ground prongs.

It only has to happen once. (electrocution, that is)

Agreed, and never, ever argued that it couldn't happen. Do I think
people are being electrocuted by their computers? No. Do I think, even
know, that it's possible? Of course. The thing is, I never entered the
"grounded vs. non-grounded computer" argument. I'm not quite sure why
some folks think I did.

I'll go back to my initial entry point into this discussion: I think the
OP is a troll. Has anybody heard back from him recently?

....Signing off from Thunderbird, on my grounded, surge protected, metal
skinned computer.