Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2-prong to 3-prong

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's just possible that there are valid reasons for using Google-
groups . Perhaps one's corporate-installed image does not allow for
the installation or use of newsreader applications or personal email
accounts. If one didn't use Google groups in those situations, one
couldn't break up the work day by engaging in such witty banter with
other members of this group.

Hey, you want to steal time from your boss, and use his hardware for
personal gain, that's your business. My comment on your newsreading
habit was merely following suit with your WebTV joke. (Apparently you
don't actually have a computer at home, because the only place from
which you seem to post is googlegroups.)

This thread was started by a guy who was worried about not having
grounded someone else's computer. I told him not to worry. The odds of
that causing any trouble whatsoever are essentially astronomical.
Virtually nobody gets "electrocuted" at home, period.

It's amazing that your average guy will tailgate and speed while
chatting on the cell phone, have unprotected sex, eat chicken in a
restaurant, climb a poorly positioned ladder, smoke, weave a motorcycle
through traffic with six inches of clearance on either side, and then
come home and worry about a ****ing ground plug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

The importance of earth ground to a computer is not safety so much as it
is protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"TWayne" wrote:

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Well, we have two "ground" camps here. One camp says ground it for
personal safety, the other camp says ground it for the protection of the
computer. So far I haven't seen anything from either camp that would
lead me to give a rat's ass whether my computer was grounded or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 12:14*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Ah, there's that ole "jumping to conclusions" habit of yours rearing
it's ugly head again.

First: Please explain how this post would be different if was posted
from Agent or NewsPro or OSXnews or UsenetGrab?

Not that I need to justify my usenet experience to you, but - oh,
never mind - I really *don't* need to justify my usenet experience to
you.

Second - Not that I need to justify my reasons for using Googlegroups
from home, but - oh, never mind - I really *don't* need to justify
my reasons for using Googlegroups from home to you.

This thread was started by a guy who was worried about not having
grounded someone else's computer.

To be a bit more accurate, this thread was started by a guy who claims
that he installs home computers and that because he "didn't know what
else (to) do, (he) removed the grounding prongs from a six-splitter".
BTW - prongs? plural? Interesting. I think this guy has more to worry
about than the computer he supposedly installed.

His claim about what he does is really the only thing I commented on
until you asked to be shown AC wires inside a computer and claimed
that "most" cases were non-metalic.

Do I think that people are dropping dead from computer chassis
electrocutions because they are not grounded? Nope.

Do I think the guy should be worried? Only about his job...assuming
he's not a troll.

It's amazing that your average guy will long humorous list
snipped

Anybody that can do all of the things you listed is *way* above
average.

(Posted from home, on 1 of my 3 metal skinned systems, via
Googlegroups because I - oh never mind.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 13:40:17 -0400, "TWayne"
wrote:

...The importance of earth ground to a computer is not safety so much as it
is protection.

I understand. However, none is so blind as he who will not see--and
there is one or more in this thread.

_________________________
Zildjian: world class cymbal of excellence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Apparently you don't actually have a computer at home, because the
only place from which you seem to post is googlegroups.

Ah, there's that ole "jumping to conclusions" habit of yours rearing
it's ugly head again.

You're about as logical as a screen door on a submarine, Pops. First you
claim to use googlegroups because it's your only option while at work.
Now you claim, uh, what are you claiming, anyway?

Anyone who would use a web-based usenet interface when other options are
available is just plain tetched. You started to explain your reasons for
doing so several times, but kept trailing off with a "never mind,"
likely because, uh, there are no valid reasons to do that.

Please, enjoy your ground-plug induced trance. Here's a little weekend
riddle for you to muse on: How many people are killed by electricity in
their homes every year?

Hint: Take the number of people who die by falling down while walking
*on level ground* every year, and divide by fifty or a hundred. That
should get you in the ballpark.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 6, 3:38*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

OK, it now appears that you just respond without even reading (or
perhaps it's without understanding) what I post. I don't even know
why you brought up ground plugs in this latest response. Not once, in
any of my posts did I even enter the discussion about whether
grounding a computer made any dfference. In fact, the closest I came
to entering the discussion was *agreeing* with you that people are not
getting electrocuted by their computers. Did you even read that?

I commented on 2 things:

1 - I said that I think the OP is either a lousy technician or a
troll.
2 - I responded when you asked to be shown the AC wires in a computer
and said that most cases are non-metallic.

How do you infer from my pointing out that there are AC wires in the
power supply, and that neither of us know the percentage of metallic
cases to non-metallic cases, to mean that I think the computer should
be grounded? You asked to be shown where the AC wires were and I
answered. You said the case "was most likely not metal" and I
disagreed. No where in either of those statements is there any hint at
my opinion as to the need for, or purpose of, a ground.

You started to explain your reasons for (using googlegroups)
several times, but kept trailing off with a "never mind," likely
because, uh, there are no valid reasons to do that.

No, I trailed off with a "never mind" because as I tried to point out,
I have no need to justify my use of any given technology to you. You
must have missed the underlying meaning that there is indeed a reason
for using the same technology at home that I am *forced to* at work.
(There's a huge hint in that last statement if you care to look.) I
have my reasons, which you may not find valid, but I don't need to
explain them to you in fine detail. Bottom line: I don't need your
approval on anything I do, including how I access newsgroups.

BTW, you didn't respond to the specific request I made.

Please explain how this post would be different if it was posted from
Agent or NewsPro or OSXnews or UsenetGrab.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was shocked (but not injured) by a computer at work.

Computer A was in a two prong outlet with conduit ground, but the
outlet connections were reversed so that the metal case of the
computer was hot rather than at ground.

Computer B was in a similar outlet at the next workstation, but the
outlet connections were not reversed and case was at ground.

They were networked, connected by biax (shielded two conductor
cable). So I held a barrel connector in each hand as I tried to link
the computers, and got that old familiar tingling across the chest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW, you didn't respond to the specific request I made.

Please explain how this post would be different if it was posted from
Agent or NewsPro or OSXnews or UsenetGrab.

1. It would be seen by many more people. You only made it to *my* white
list a few days ago.

2. You would be more widely respected if you used a real newsreader.
Google is widely despised, for allowing themselves to be used as a spam
portal, and googlegroupers are often pegged with guilt by association.
Not only that, but the assumption is that one who uses google or any
other web interface for usenet doesn't quite "get it."

Clearly you don't appreciate others making erroneous assumptions about
you. That's rather idealistic, I think. Assumptions will be made, fair
or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...The importance of earth ground to a computer is not safety so much as it
is protection.

I understand. However, none is so blind as he who will not see--and
there is one or more in this thread.

When someone shows me something credible, I'll see. Again I ask, how is
a computer protected by being grounded?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:56:54 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I was shocked (but not injured) by a computer at work.

Computer A was in a two prong outlet with conduit ground, but the
outlet connections were reversed so that the metal case of the
computer was hot rather than at ground.

Computer B was in a similar outlet at the next workstation, but the
outlet connections were not reversed and case was at ground.

They were networked, connected by biax (shielded two conductor
cable). So I held a barrel connector in each hand as I tried to link
the computers, and got that old familiar tingling across the chest.

That is a very good example.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:24:39 -0400, Blattus Slafaly wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:51:41 -0400, Michael A Ball wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:39:24 -0400, LouB wrote:

Claude Hopper wrote:
chuckferguson wrote:

NEVER cut a ground prong! Just get the little gray adapters that convert
3 prong to 2 with a green wire that has a spade lug on it. Plug the
power strip into the adapter, connect the adapter green wire to the
middle screw on the wall plug. If it's grounded it will be grounded, if
it isn't it isn't. Not your problem. Plug the adapter into the 2 prong
outlet. Point out to the owners that this is not the best connection but
they should be used to it since they must have had to do this all over
the house. Check and see how they have their microwave plugged.

BEST reply!!

Lou

Yes. My thought exactly.

Idiot.

If the outlet hasn't a ground wire, connecting the equipment ground to the
outlet's center screw won't help one damn bit.

It's not the computer installers problem as I said, idiot.

Irrelevent, you asshole moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"TWayne" wrote:

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Good; you'll be good for business at the computer stores. People here
aren't likely to give a rat's ass about you either, so ... enjoy your
future boat anchors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Why is that so "interesting"? I have two "six splitters", and each of
them have two earth pins. It helps keep the frame sturdy and in
position. Because you haven't seen something means it can not exist, I
guess.
And, the "guy", if that's accurate, was an idiot also.

His claim about what he does is really the only thing I commented on
until you asked to be shown AC wires inside a computer and claimed
that "most" cases were non-metalic.

Do I think that people are dropping dead from computer chassis
electrocutions because they are not grounded? Nope.

It only has to happen once. Grab a faulted ungrounded chassis and
anything else that is grounded, and if you're smart enough, you know
what will happen.

Do I think the guy should be worried? Only about his job...assuming
he's not a troll.

It's amazing that your average guy will long humorous list
snipped

Anybody that can do all of the things you listed is *way* above
average.

(Posted from home, on 1 of my 3 metal skinned systems, via
Googlegroups because I - oh never mind.)

Because you don't know how to use a new reader; just admit it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in :

[...]

I wouldn't want to admit to something that wasn't true...sure didn't
take me too long to figure out how to use this one.

I have two "six splitters", and each of them have two earth pins.

Had to think about that one for a minute. When I picture the type of
"six-splitter" a computer installer would typically use, I picture a 6
receptacle surge protector with a cord, not one of those 6 outlet
devices you plug directly into the receptacle. I see how that would have
2 ground prongs, I even have one lying around someplace. However, I
still don't see a legitimate computer installer using one, much less
cutting off the ground prongs.

It only has to happen once. (electrocution, that is)

Agreed, and never, ever argued that it couldn't happen. Do I think
people are being electrocuted by their computers? No. Do I think, even
know, that it's possible? Of course. The thing is, I never entered the
"grounded vs. non-grounded computer" argument. I'm not quite sure why
some folks think I did.

I'll go back to my initial entry point into this discussion: I think the
OP is a troll. Has anybody heard back from him recently?

....Signing off from Thunderbird, on my grounded, surge protected, metal
skinned computer.