Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Mold problem

"Norminn" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Upon further investigation, the deepest, most unreachable part of
those shelves were black with mold. Since these shelves are right next

Excellent reply Boden. I'll add to this one.

......and in every breath you take? Mold spores flit around everywhere.

Sure, and no house is totally mold free as we all know. Some types make for
higher health hazards than others.

I regret I didnt google the pictures. I had that and Stachybotrys Chartarum
plus

'fan shaped black stuff'. It was the back room.

Bleach alone is not effective. It will in all likelihood kill the mold on
the surface, but there will be viable spores left in the wood. There are
much better biocides available. Look at the links below.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=149
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=149

Biocides? You use them every time you shower?

There is mold and there are other kinds.

Correct. MikeB, google for professional mold killers. Thats one of many.
Many can be bought online as well.

Be very VERY sure to wear the right 'personal protective equipment' with
these chemicals and keep all pets well away (and toddlers etc).

If the wood is rotted, it should be replaced. If not, clean it, dry it,
paint it. Effectively shielded from
them spores.

May work very well with most types. Wont work for all.