Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Mold problem

cshenk wrote:

"Boden" wrote in message

MikeB wrote:

Today my wife noticed some black spots on a kitchen cabinet shelf.
Upon further investigation, the deepest, most unreachable part of
those shelves were black with mold. Since these shelves are right next
to the dishwasher, I next looked under the dishwasher and my worst
fears were true. There must be a slow or small leak somewhere in the

Can spraying bleach cure this or am I looking at replacing (at best)
the shelves that seem to be some form of particle board or 9at worst)
the entire set of kitchen cabinets?

My guess is that you have mold under and behind the cabinets that you
haven't seen yet.

Excellent reply Boden. I'll add to this one.

.......and in every breath you take? Mold spores flit around everywhere.

Bleach alone is not effective. It will in all likelihood kill the mold on
the surface, but there will be viable spores left in the wood. There are
much better biocides available. Look at the links below.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=149
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=149

Biocides? You use them every time you shower?

Correct. MikeB, google for professional mold killers. Thats one of many.
Many can be bought online as well.

Be very VERY sure to wear the right 'personal protective equipment' with
these chemicals and keep all pets well away (and toddlers etc).

If the wood is rotted, it should be replaced. If not, clean it, dry it,
paint it. Effectively shielded from
them spores.

Any wood that has rotted, will have to come out if soft and flakey. You may
however be able to avoid a complete cabinet replacement. What's damaged
would be the back portions, not the 'front which shows' so if you are handy
or can contract it right, those back parts can be replaced in the damaged
area if needed which will allow you to not have to remove upper cabinets due
to not being able to match the old pattern.

I'd dry the area out and keep it dry. I had similar problems in Dallas
and chose to not resort to heroic measures like replacing cabinets, etc.
If you keep it dry it will be dormant. If someone is truly impacted by the
mold you may want to do more, but fungus of some sort will exist no matter
what you do.

This is true, also the 'good professional stuff' goes a very long way to
really killing the spores deep. Proper mask made for chemical vapors (and
if mold sensitive, mold as well) is needed. Non-vented safety glasses tight
to face when spraying and shower after. Long rubber gloves and long sleeves
(I actually wear two layers of coveralls with the sleeves tucked into the
gloves).

If you start cutting wood or removing cabinets that are contaminated with
mold wear a respirator with a good HEPA filter, a mask alone is not
sufficient. I made that mistake and ended up with a fungus infection in
my lungs...not fun. I had a termite infestation that provided a place for
aspergillous niger to thrive, until they found my lungs.

Just out of curiosity, who cultured the termite nest to find the a.n.?
It grows just about anywhere there
is decomposing vegetation.

Ouch. Thats exactly the beastie I had to kill. Fan shaped stuff. I'll
have to backtack for the name of the chemical used. Just a big warning to
wear the right safety gear and wear it *correctly*. One other note for
MikeB, you can not just dispose of the wood or other infected parts
'anywhich way'. Illegal almost everywhere. You'll probably need a building
permit for this one and that will allow access to the safe dumping zones for
such infested items. There's mold and then there is Aspergillis niger....

Aspergillus niger is used in food production! Here is a good article,
just to reduce panic of the masses,
that explains a.n. well:
http://www.epa.gov/biotech_rule/pubs/fra/fra006.htm
It is not a disease producing organism unless one's immune system is
compromised. In that case, mold,
mildew and lots of other nasty stuff become threats. Good old drinking
water isn't sterile, nor is the bar of
soap by the sink, the doorknobs you touch daily, the cutting board on
the kitchen counter.......