Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Mold problem

On Sep 8, 12:11*pm, MikeB wrote:
OK, I got the dishwasher out and it's not a pretty sight, not as bad
as it might have been, but not pretty. I took some pictures and posted
them hehttp://mpbrede.googlepages.com/moldpictures

Hopefully this will give you guys a chance to form a better opinion of
what I should be doing.

I had a repairman come out for the dishwasher and he says it is the
motor/pump assembly ($250 on the Kitchenaid. Add in labor and tax and
he's quoting $362).

From what I read, the mold is essentially there and will yield spores
ad infinitum. Since it is wood, it is not easy (possible?) to seal the
surfaces adequately, if my understanding is correct. I will look into
the biocides, but my wife is very concerned that she will have
polluted cabinets afterwards and she doesn't want to store cookware
and other kitchen utensils there if there is a chance of
contamination.

SteveBell, can you please contact me with the referral you offered? My
email address on this post is good.

Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming.

Check you home owner's insurance policy. You may be covered for
the problem. Letting the pro's come in and do the job will be cheaper
and easier than DIY if it is covered.

I had a friend who bought a house that had a pipe bust in the
cold. There was mold in places you would never think of and not near
the leak. It was a big job but the insurance paid for it all.