Posted to rec.woodworking
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Dust Collector Location question / advice

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:37:10 GMT, "Larry C" wrote:

I went through a lot of research when I moved and was designing the new
shop..
In my case, putting the unit outside would have caused the same problems
that
others have, plus future building in my area will eventually include
neighboring
houses.. I didn't want noise abuse to folks nearby..
(We also have the AC in the shop running every day for almost 6 months a
year)

I have a Harbor Freight unit that does the job well for me... It sits in
the
corner furthest from the rest of the house (my shop is a large room in the
house) with a 20' run of 4" hose between the DC and a shop-built
separator, with
a Y on the separator making short runs to the band saw and lathe, each
with a
blast gate..

I also added a DC muffler, which was a GREAT investment:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/SUP1000.html

SNIP

mac

Seems like that muffler would be pretty simple to make. Now granted I don't
know what's in it, but seems like to me that you could get the same effect
from a can of something crappy like Yuban, drilling a hole in both ends of
the can and sliding a piece of exhaust venting through the hole. You could
pack the can with fiberglas or steel wool or heck even leave the dried out
Yuban in the can to act as packing.

I don't know, sure would be interesting to see what is in that muffler they
offer.