Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Dust Collector Location question / advice

"Larry C" wrote in message
Hello,

I am going to spend some money on a new dust collector for my cellar shop.
I am looking at either the JDS or the Oneida. My longest run may be 30
feet. I am just a hobby guy so I would only be using one machine at a
time. Not sure of the size of the main run yet, maybe 6".

My question is about location:

I was thinking of having the collector outside in a shed and run the pipe
through a modified cellar window. Since the window is 6 ft from the floor
and the collector input will be 4 or so feet from that I am worried that I
am trying to suck the dust to high (far)? Is it worth it to put it out
there or should I just put it under the stairs. Has anyone ever had the
same sort of setup?

I live in North East Mass if that matters.

Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

FYI I use a 1100 cfm Jet with canister filter. I only use a 20' run of
"4""clear flexible hose. Because like you I only use one tool at a time
the hose is totally portable and is not fixed to a particular tool. For
half my operations including catching waste from a 15" stationary planer the
hose exits the DC about 18" from the floor goes straight up to a ceiling
hook 12" from the ceiling then comes back down to the Planer about 6' away.
Similarly the hose exits the DC goes up to the ceiling hook and back down to
about 4" above the floor to my Laguna BS. Same situations for the Drum
Sander, DP, and Router table.

For longer runs to the other side of the shop the hose comes down from the
ceiling hook to go to an OS Sander, Disk Sander or my TS up to 16' away from
the DC.

With the hose going up to the ceiling I see no drop in performance and I
have never had to clear a clog. The DC seldom looses any debris from the
high volume planer or drum sander.