Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill David Merrill is offline

Default Accurate 45% cuts:

Sal,

I believe that Jay is referring to the speed square technique illustrated in
the third image (labeled "2.") at the following site (only use the 45° edge
rather than the 90° edge as the hand held circular saw guide).
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...nGamdaq4EtqfE=
If you need angles other than 90 or 45 degrees, then get one of the
inexpensive protractor saw guides illustrated in subsequent images on the
same page. If you have problems holding the speed square firmly, clamp it.
Of course, sliding compound miter saw is an even better, but considerably
more expensive, alternative.

If you're trying to use badly warped 'home store' lumber, return it as
unsuitable and go to a quality lumber supplier. And still inspect every
piece (that needs to be straight) before accepting it.

David Merrill

"Jay R" wrote in message
Make my mark and line using a speed square, then I place the saw on the

mark
and set the speed square next to it as a guide.

If you keep a good grip on the square and wood and mark sure to guide the
saw with the square you will make a cut as good as if you had a power

miter
saw.

"sal" wrote in message
Can someone tell me how to make accurate 45 % cuts that actually fit
together nicely? I was building an deck and have some herringbone and
mitered joints that were an devil to do , using number 2 grade spruce.

love making sawdust.

Sal