Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry C Larry C is offline

Default Dust Collector Location question / advice

Hello,

I am going to spend some money on a new dust collector for my cellar shop.
I am looking at either the JDS or the Oneida. My longest run may be 30
feet. I am just a hobby guy so I would only be using one machine at a time.
Not sure of the size of the main run yet, maybe 6".

My question is about location:

I was thinking of having the collector outside in a shed and run the pipe
through a modified cellar window. Since the window is 6 ft from the floor
and the collector input will be 4 or so feet from that I am worried that I
am trying to suck the dust to high (far)? Is it worth it to put it out
there or should I just put it under the stairs. Has anyone ever had the
same sort of setup?

I live in North East Mass if that matters.

Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

Larry C