Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Need advice on buying a good tap & die set for small machinework

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 15:04:55 -0700, Dave August wrote:
As George has said lots of good advice so far...
but I'll go one further than he and Jon have said about a tapping block,
build yourself a tapping fixture like this.
http://www.ggls.org/TappingFixture/

[...]
I posted this here several years ago and got an incredible amount of
positive feedback on it, and about 5 months ago Matt Mason published
this in his "LGRR" Magizine...

Oh I'm I "buy the best" kind of guy... "Cheap tools are false economy"

--.- Dave

In the TappingFixture page you write, "I suggest that you assemble the
nipple and elbow in the store and check to make sure they form a perfect
right angle, many of the elbows are not tapped perfectly square. That
way you can sort through the stock and find the best of the lot."

An alternative to sorting through the stock would be to use another
tee rather than an elbow on that corner of the fixture.

-jiw