Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default A new roof: Some questions

In article ,
BCDrums wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

BC

Can't really help you with details, but I just spent about 10k for new
roof and gutters on a 1200 sq. ft. house (plus 2 car attached garage.)

I went with the guys who made the most sense when I talked to them. They
addressed some issues that others didn't, and to me it just seemed like
a more professional outfit.

I mitigated the higher price by being straight up about it: "I'd like to
go with your company, but the price is a bit high. If I paid you cash on
the day the job was complete, could you knock 10% off that quote?"

And they did?

BC

Indeed they did. I think most contractors are willing to work with you a
bit on price if they realize you're not making your choice based on
price. In this case they were still the highest, but that brought them
down into more palatable territory. For me it's better to make a choice
based on other factors, and negotiate price later.