Tim Simmons

Default how to tell if bit is sharp enough?

Me again.

I used the router for like 2 days and now it seems it is causing
problems!!!!

I set depth of cut vertically and make a pass (it isn't all that smooth but
I can tell the speed at which it seems to like it) but if I make pass 2 at
new deptch, the thing seems to not want to bite into the wood and the cut
actually moves as if the bit is sliding UP! I ruined several pieces of wood
even though it didn't seem to be my fault (unless I was just using

a) a bit not sharp enough
b) a bit with pitch on it
c) too deep cut (but was same depth as first)
d) combo of all 3?

Do they get dull in 2 days? Could I have dulled it by burning it (and
wood)? Seems like pine would be a breeze for a router.

So, if I clean the bit with some oven cleaner (how to do it?) how can I
ensure it is sharp? I know what sharp is for my razor I use to shave with
but is there an objective measurement? I was cutting pine (white I think...
or yellow?) and my miter saw blew threw it like butter (but then it has
carbide tips).

If it is dull, how to sharpen? Maybe I can find that on a Google search.

Anyway... I am just trying to learn just enough and NO MORE to get at least
a decent router cut that may need to eventually be 1/2" total.

I'll prob just buy actual picture frame molding and avoid the router issue.
But it's nice to have if I need it.

Thanks,
Tim