Posted to alt.home.repair
BCDrums BCDrums is offline

Default A new roof: Some questions

Dottie wrote:

I got a new roof last year. It was the architectural GAF shingles. I
am in FL where the codes are stricter because of the possibility of
high winds. On the ridge vent...I went to the GAF web site and
remember reading that the gable ends needed to be closed. This meant
covering the vents at each end of the house, put there when it was
built.
I already had soffits with ventilation holes so that wasn't a
problem. The new codes required that the plywood decking be nailed
(as opposed to staples) and it told how many were required per foot.
The shingles also had to meet a certain code (each state may be
different). I believe GAF will not guarantee the warranty unless the
shingles are installed the way they say do it - and probably other
companies are the same. Before you commit to any one company you need
to find out what the building code requirements are and make sure the
company you are dealing with is licensed, insured and plans to pull
the proper permits. Also look online for the web site of the roofing
manufacturer and see what they require to warrant the roof.

I have read the Certainteed warranty, and they specify that the roof
must be "properly vented," a term they do not define. I tend to think
that shingle warranties are almost useless. The Certainteed warranty
covers shingles and the labor to replace them in the first 5 years, but
NOT removal of defective shingles or disposal.

Things may be different in Hurricane Alley. Good luck this week!

BC