Posted to alt.home.repair
BCDrums BCDrums is offline

Default A new roof: Some questions

cshenk wrote:
"BCDrums" wrote

Our family's little vacation cottage needs a new roof. I got four
estimates, ranging from $3200 to $10,000 for a 1400 square foot roof.
There are two layers to be stripped off. My questions:

Vacation cottage? Ok. Cold and dry or wet and hot area? Makes a
difference.

New England. Hot and often humid in the summer, cold and snowy in the
winter. House is only occupied from Memorial day to October 15.

One roofer proposes 6 nails per shingle vs. 4 nails. We are a mile from
the ocean, and occasionally get a Nor'Easter. However, I doubt that the
current roof had 6 nails and it has lasted well.

Probably not, but to me that they'd even think to go above minimum there,
means they may do better work elsewhere as well.

A good point!

BC