Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default differentiated thought before cutting metal

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
news
This is really TWO subjects: 1.) How do you think of good ideas? 2.)
How do you encourage creative thinking in others? The second one has been
well addressed by most of you. The first is more difficult. Some people
spontneously bring various viewpoints to the problem, and automatically go
into a "what if" mode when somethingt needs to be done. These same people
go into a "what if" mode when they see something being done in the same
old way. I think this is a talent, not easily taught.

The mind keeps working on a problem even when you are not aware of
it--even in your sleep. If you are not satisfied with the answer you
have, don't be in a rush. An inspiration may jump into your mind when you
least expect it. And then you'll say, "Why didn't I think of that in the
first place?"

We had been trying to come up with a way of producing "ring and flange" wire
wheel brushes for over 30 years, that includes my uncles who were geniuses
in their own rights. One afternoon in Canada, while fishing in a small boat
in a torrential downpour. I was snug in my Gor-Tex and I couldn't see my
buddy that was five feet away, never before or since have I seen it rain
that hard. For some reason, the method of making those brushes popped into
my head in absolute clarity. The machine is so simple and robust, and it
was inexpensive to build. Why didn't I think of that in the first place?