Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default New Generator will not start

"TWayne" wrote in message
I seriously doubt that the manufacturers leave gas in, for shipping.
The carb gasket is my best guess, from here.

Doesn't really matter what you doubt; that is the case. They are pre-run
before shipment by hooking a line up to the carb's fuel input, started,
and allowed to run a few seconds, not enough to empty the bowl, and
shipped.
All you have to do is check on ANY freshly delivered item with a gas
powered engine. I even had one lawn tractor that actually started while I
was testing the battery connections of the battery I'd just put in. I
figured I'd turn it over a couple times to be sure hte battery was up to
charge, and it started. Ran for about half a minute or so, too, long's
the choke was kept on. Never thought to try that before that one though.
Most won't start because the gas is evaporated & floating around in the
air, I presume, in the lines & bowl. But it's there if you look; pull the
bowl off next time and give it a look-see.
I wouldn't suggest that for just anyone but I know you know everything
there is to know about such things so you can do it without problems or
ruining the gasket.

Twayne

My first generator, the fuel shutoff worked opposite from the depiction in
the instruction manual. When the book said it was ON it was actually OFF.
It fired up when I started it the first time, ran for a few seconds and
died. I fiddled with it, which probably got some fuel into the lines again,
started it up again and it ran for a few seconds and died. I had gone 100
miles each way to find the last one in the region for sale (it was during a
recent hurricane season when the entire area lost power for up to a week)
and finally a neighbor figured out the problem. So the fuel shutoff is one
of the areas I'd check if a new one had problems.

"TWayne" wrote in message

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.

There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.