Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Generator will not start

Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I have a
coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a box for about 4
years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go to fire it up, fill it
with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The plug is new and when holding
near the block, we can see spark plus it has plenty of compression. It
sounds like it wants to catch, but it won't. Fuel valve is on and I can
smell gas like it is getting flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might
have missed? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a box
for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go to fire
it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The plug is
new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it has plenty
of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it won't. Fuel
valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting flooded. Any
suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

I would try removing the plug, dump in a little gas, replace the plug
and see if it fires. If it does, you may have a stuck carburetor float
Posted to alt.home.repair

WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a
box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go
to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The
plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it
has plenty of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it
won't. Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting
flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

It has both a fuel shut-off valve (which must be turned) AND an electrical
switch that you have to flip.

The switch on mine is close to the fuel shut-off valve.

In your case, I suspect the switch is the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a
box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go
to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The
plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it
has plenty of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it
won't. Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting
flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

It has both a fuel shut-off valve (which must be turned) AND an electrical
switch that you have to flip.

The switch on mine is close to the fuel shut-off valve.

In your case, I suspect the switch is the culprit.

Thanks both. Neighbor came over and said something about fuel inlet in the
carb has crystallized or something from non-use. Left over gas from the
manufacturer test. He sprayed a little carb cleaner in the choke and it
fired right up. Only weird now is it runs great, but won't run if the choke
is turn from choke to run. I conks out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:51:47 -0400, "WendyC88"
wrote Re New Generator will not
start:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
WendyC88 wrote:
[...]

My guess is that the fuel outlet orifice is still a bit clogged. Try
some more carb cleaner, let the cleaner set a while, then start up and
let it run a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 6:03*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:51:47 -0400, "WendyC88"
wrote Re New Generator will not
start:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
WendyC88 wrote:
[...]

let it run a while.- Hide quoted text -

Liberal use of carb cleaner will help, also, if you run it with some
carb cleaner in the gasoline for a while that will also soften up the
clog. Just keep running it with the choke closed, and gradually open
the choke, every 5 or 10 minutes, until it will run with the choke
open.

Be sure to use Stabil in the gasoline when you put the generator
away, and either keep the gas tank filled and use Stabil, or run it
until the gasoline runs out. If you do the latter, as the gasoline
gets low you will need to start closing the choke until it is fully
closed and the generator stops. That way you have drained enough
gasoline out of the system that it should not clog again. But, you
must be sure that all gasoline is gone from the tank. If there are
some irregularities in the bottom of the gas tank, even after it stops
running, If you should accidently move the generator, some of that
gas can get into the carburetor and clog it. So, as it gets low on
gas, move the generator around a bit to get ALL of the gas out of the
tank and into the carburetor.

Bob Hofmann
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news:XqCdnZ2OmIAkLCTVnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@earthlink .com...
WendyC88 wrote:
[...]

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with NO
OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged? Malfunctioning
maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to read before
answering.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8- Hide quoted text -

If it wont run with choke off, it isnt New because carb is clogged.
Machines are test run before being sold. His carb needs a cleaning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a
box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go
to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The
plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it
has plenty of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it
won't. Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting
flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

That's far from a "new" generator. It's only "unused". The fuel lines,
carb, bowl, jets etc. have probably all become full of varnish from the
time in storage. You'll have to have it cleaned out and checked.

Tossing gas in the spark plug is stupid advice as it can easily keep the
thing from ever starting period, til the gas evaporates and in some
cases can cause damage to the engine. If you wan to do something like
that, get a can of starting fluid to squirt into the carb. But, that
will cause the engine to almost start and you'll pull the dirt/grime
formed in the old fuel harder into the needles etc. and it still won't
start. Lost cause til you get it serviced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
WendyC88 wrote:
[...]

Fuel system needs cleaning~

Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
On Aug 30, 6:03 pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:51:47 -0400, "WendyC88"
wrote Re New Generator will not
start:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
WendyC88 wrote:
[...]
and let it run a while.- Hide quoted text -

[...]

There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl will
be full initially.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"plenty of spark" means switch is on, and working.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
WendyC88 wrote:
Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I
have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a
box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go
to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The
plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it
has plenty of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it
won't. Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting
flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!

It has both a fuel shut-off valve (which must be turned) AND an electrical
switch that you have to flip.

The switch on mine is close to the fuel shut-off valve.

In your case, I suspect the switch is the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the engine won't run with choke off, it very possible the gasket dried
out, between the carb and the engine. Pull the carb off, the gasket is
probably loose. Put a tiny bit of Permatex #2B non hardening gasket sealer
on the gasket, and reassemble. Should work a lot better. May also explain
the no-start.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TWayne" wrote in message

Thanks both. Neighbor came over and said something about fuel inlet
in the carb has crystallized or something from non-use. Left over
gas from the manufacturer test. He sprayed a little carb cleaner in
the choke and it fired right up. Only weird now is it runs great,
but won't run if the choke is turn from choke to run. I conks out.

Fuel system needs cleaning~

Posted to alt.home.repair

I seriously doubt that the manufacturers leave gas in, for shipping. The
carb gasket is my best guess, from here.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TWayne" wrote in message

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.

There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl will
be full initially.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I seriously doubt that the manufacturers leave gas in, for shipping.
The carb gasket is my best guess, from here.

Doesn't really matter what you doubt; that is the case. They are
pre-run before shipment by hooking a line up to the carb's fuel input,
started, and allowed to run a few seconds, not enough to empty the bowl,
and shipped.
All you have to do is check on ANY freshly delivered item with a gas
powered engine. I even had one lawn tractor that actually started while
I was testing the battery connections of the battery I'd just put in. I
figured I'd turn it over a couple times to be sure hte battery was up to
charge, and it started. Ran for about half a minute or so, too, long's
the choke was kept on. Never thought to try that before that one
though. Most won't start because the gas is evaporated & floating
around in the air, I presume, in the lines & bowl. But it's there if
you look; pull the bowl off next time and give it a look-see.
I wouldn't suggest that for just anyone but I know you know
everything there is to know about such things so you can do it without
problems or ruining the gasket.

Twayne

"TWayne" wrote in message

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.

There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in message
[...]

My first generator, the fuel shutoff worked opposite from the depiction in
the instruction manual. When the book said it was ON it was actually OFF.
It fired up when I started it the first time, ran for a few seconds and
died. I fiddled with it, which probably got some fuel into the lines again,
started it up again and it ran for a few seconds and died. I had gone 100
miles each way to find the last one in the region for sale (it was during a
recent hurricane season when the entire area lost power for up to a week)
and finally a neighbor figured out the problem. So the fuel shutoff is one
of the areas I'd check if a new one had problems.

"TWayne" wrote in message

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.

There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in message
It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.
There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in message
It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.
There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....

that's a great way to blow the seals out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in message
It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with
NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to
read before answering.
There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....

that's a great way to blow the seals out.

Worked for me, and the gen's been fine since Ivan...
Posted to alt.home.repair

You live in hurricane country, and waited for the last minute to find a
generator? Hmm.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JimR" wrote in message

I had gone 100
miles each way to find the last one in the region for sale (it was during a
recent hurricane season when the entire area lost power for up to a week)

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's how I got my first genny, from a relative who didn't know this
factoid.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Shanghai McCoy" wrote in message

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 21:20:42 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....

that's a great way to blow the seals out.

Many say to fill it completely, there is a fill hole and it is
supposed to be to the the top of the fill hole. I have several pieces
of power equipment including a generator with that requirement.
Overfilling these is impossible, they are designed to be idiot proof
and don't even have dipsticks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....

that's a great way to blow the seals out.

Many say to fill it completely, there is a fill hole and it is
supposed to be to the the top of the fill hole. I have several pieces
of power equipment including a generator with that requirement.
Overfilling these is impossible, they are designed to be idiot proof
and don't even have dipsticks.

OK. The ones I've seen usually have a 2-3" dipstick in the fill cap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in message
It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box
with NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged?
Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how
to read before answering.
There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl
will be full initially.

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil
runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY
sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I
completely filled it....

Good catch. However, depending on the type of oil filler, could be bad
advice. If it's just the plug you pull off & fill to the line it won't
hurt anything but if not, especially if it has a stick and you can put
in a lot more than it's supposed to have, you're going to have suds,
lots of heat, and a boat anchor if it runs for very long.
but if the oil is low, a sensor could very well be a cause for not
starting. Filling furhter than recommended isn't going to help
anything. If it does, there are bigger problems with the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the
oil runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have
a VERY sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't
start until I completely filled it....

that's a great way to blow the seals out.

Many say to fill it completely, there is a fill hole and it is
supposed to be to the the top of the fill hole. I have several pieces
of power equipment including a generator with that requirement.
Overfilling these is impossible, they are designed to be idiot proof
and don't even have dipsticks.

That explains how one idiot makes it workg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the
oil runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have
a VERY sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't
start until I completely filled it....
that's a great way to blow the seals out.

Many say to fill it completely, there is a fill hole and it is
supposed to be to the the top of the fill hole. I have several pieces
of power equipment including a generator with that requirement.
Overfilling these is impossible, they are designed to be idiot proof
and don't even have dipsticks.

That explains how one idiot makes it workg

Did he blow a seal, or is that ice cream on his chin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A really good idiot will tip the generator on its side, and fill the hole
at the top. You want me to overfill your generator? That's a challenge I can
accept.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chris Hill" wrote in message

Many say to fill it completely, there is a fill hole and it is
supposed to be to the the top of the fill hole. I have several pieces
of power equipment including a generator with that requirement.
Overfilling these is impossible, they are designed to be idiot proof
and don't even have dipsticks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi it's a pleasure to find another person in Brooklyn trying to go off
grid. Being an environmentalist of 22 years I've come across many
products that has allowed me to partially be off grid. My goal is to
be totally off grid by next year.

Please consider going green with your work.

I found a real simple guide for about $47 that has given me step by
step instructions on making my first solar panel that I use to power
various items throughout my home. I will be using it for my boiler
system this winter so I am extremely excited about that.

The site that I received the information from was featured on an
industry review forum title Innovated Assessment Solutions, Inc.
Their website is

http://innovatedthinking.com/forumreviewpage

Good luck to you and stay green.
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

life is great wrote:

I found a real simple guide for about $47 that has given me step by

You posted the same spam in at least two other news groups