Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

On Fri 05 Sep 2008 02:37:08p, SteveBell told us...

dadiOH wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bought a house with ceiling fans. All work, but some are a
little noisy. Are there places to lube them? Some meay date
to 1991.

Never saw a place to lube them. If they are cheap fans they
started out that way. There was a period that fans were being
imported and they were rather poor quality.

I'll second that. Ceiling fans are not generally user-maintainable.
They're mostly disposable. I've never seen one with an oil cup.

All the Hunter "Original" (and other brands) had/have an oil cup.

Very interesting. Where on the fan was the oil cup? Maybe I just
haven't recognized them.

I owned several Hunter "Original" fans at one time. IIRC, there is a small
hole (approx. 3/16" diam.) on top of the housing where the oil is inserted.
When a new fan is purchased, it comes with a bottle of oil to completely
fill the reservoir. There are instructions as to how frequently to add
amounts of oil. If you have one of these and have no instructions, you
should really contact Hunter for the specs.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 09(IX)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day