Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default 2-prong to 3-prong

On Sep 1, 5:40*pm, (chuckferguson)
wrote:
-------------------------------------

Hi,
I install home computers, and recently I was in a beautiful old house to
install a machine but found there were only two-prong ungrounded outlets.

Two prongs does not always mean no ground. In many old homes the
outlets are connected via metal conduit which provides a ground.
Without checking you can not be sure it is grounded even if it has a
metal conduit.

Since there are so many variations around and in older homes there
often are non-code wiring, I suggest that to be safe, either assume
there is no ground, or have it professionally checked.