Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default 2-prong to 3-prong

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:56:09 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

AC "wires" inside the power supply? If you're referring to a couple of
two inch long wires that connect the AC power jack to the circuit board,
fine. Otherwise, still waiting for a pic. Still wonder how a two inch
long wire is going to jump out and kill someone. I asked Chris to come
forward with a news account of that happening, anywhere at any time, and
I'm still waiting.

If one of those two wires come lose and goes to metal, it is pretty
easy to see.

I don't know what percentage of computers have outer cases of plastic
versus metal, but a brief survey at work shows most of them are plastic,
and those cover a wide range of age and make. I don't care how much
metal is inside, if the outer case is plastic that's pretty much the
final word on shock hazard.

My computer case is metal, and painted black. This paint lowers the
chance, even more, that the case would electrocute you, but grabbing
the thumb screws at the back of the computer could still kill you.

I don't know if it has ever happened, but that doesn't mean it can't.
With a proper ground, the chances are even lower. That is what the
NEC is shooting for.