Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default differentiated thought before cutting metal

This is really TWO subjects: 1.) How do you think of good ideas? 2.) How
do you encourage creative thinking in others? The second one has been well
addressed by most of you. The first is more difficult. Some people
spontneously bring various viewpoints to the problem, and automatically go
into a "what if" mode when somethingt needs to be done. These same people
go into a "what if" mode when they see something being done in the same old
way. I think this is a talent, not easily taught.

The mind keeps working on a problem even when you are not aware of it--even
in your sleep. If you are not satisfied with the answer you have, don't be
in a rush. An inspiration may jump into your mind when you least expect it.
And then you'll say, "Why didn't I think of that in the first place?"