Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default differentiated thought before cutting metal

"RAM³" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote in
:

Is there a method or exercises to develop creative thinking? Cutting
metal and drilling holes is the easy part, how do you completely
forget an idea in order to "see" a new idea? This may come easily for
an intelligent person but I struggle with my mental limitations.

Depending upon the individual, there may be several methods.

1. Read a good Sci-Fi book and get your mind out of this Universe.
minute level of detail that you can envision and, then, break each step
down at least 4 times into smaller parts. This will often show up gaps in
prior analysis.
3. Before attempting an automated answer, carefully step through the
process of making 1 item manually. This may show the need for either
additional steps or an additional machine. -Then- automate it.
4. If none of these (or any combination of them) seem to work, address
the problem in reverse: start out with the finished product (visualized
or actual) and then determine what the immediately-preceding step would
have been. Repeat as necessary until each component has been resolved
back to a rod/bar/block of material. Carry out steps in reverse order to
produce more of whatever it is.

Personally, I tend to use all 4. grin

FWIW, when in doubt, my practice is to use the lowest-level of technology
that can possibly deliver the desired results when working out either a
new idea or a new item.

I've found that, all too often, low-tech can accomplish tasks (albeit
more slowly) than high-tech off-the-shelf can for the simple reason that
high-tech is simply a means of speeding up one aspect of low-tech.
(Example: A prototype can be "adjusted" more easily with manually-
controlled equipment than on CNC gear.)

BTW, there's a Fifth Method: find the laziest person skilled enough to
understand what you're looking for and hand HIM/HER the problem
(preferably with a deadline).

You can rest assured that he/she will find the easy way. grin

Distraction, un-direction, mind clearing
Breakdown
Visualization
Top-down/bottom-up
Simplification
Delegation

You understand exactly what I'm trying to say!