Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default -google_groups- Shut off water when washer not in use?

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , "MLD" wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:
On Sep 2, 2:58 pm, "MLD" wrote:

pressure pulses. Get yourself a single lever Watts valve.
Like this?
http://www.pexsupply.com/Categories....D=610&brandid=

First I heard of this. Interesting. Convenient. Cheap insurance.

Jerry
Exactly, if you're handy you can put it in yourself. As noted below--a
one finger flip and both the hot and cold water are shutoff. A real
cheap solution- All these guys who say "Never" are going to eat their
words one day.
MLD

They are exactly what you described and also inexpensive. One quick
motion and the water is off. Those valves have become really common in
the past maybe 15 years or so. I don't think I have ever seen new
construction or remodeling where they weren't used. The local real
supply house has them in the area right behind the counter with the
other commonly sold stuff.

All right, I'm an idiot. How do you install the thing, assuming you get
the threaded variety? Unions above it?

The common version isn't threaded and is made to solder directly to your
1/2" tubing. They are simple to install and no unions etc are needed. You
remove the valve body to protect it from heat (two screws) and clean/flux
the fittings and do the same with the tubing. Sweat and put the valve body
back on.

That's the way but be honest, it's not quite that simple. Requires a bit
more work since the hot and cold lines must align with the valve etc. BTW,
if ever they leak you don't have to replace the whole valve. Get a new one
and just replace the innards using the old valve's body
MLD