Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Cutting steel plate

Making straight cuts in steel with a hacksaw isn't all that much effort for
most folks. Your cut probably would've gone quicker with a sharp blade and
fewer teeth per inch for 1/2" plate/bar.

Making a few cuts per day isn't so bad, but when you get involved in other
projects that require lots of material to be cut, hand sawing gets to be too
tedious.
That's when you'll appreciate the 4x6 bandsaw that several others have
recommended.

It's like having an obedient helper involved in the project.. so you can
drill, weld assemble or do other procedures while the saw just hums away,
getting the other materials ready.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I found myself in need to cut 1/2" mild steel plate today. The cut was
about 4-3/4".
I tried first with my only reciprocating saw which is 18V cordless and a
Lenox 18 tpi blade (the only one I had on hand). The cut progressed very
slowly. I thought I would try my Bosch 1590 jig-saw not expecting much
(Bosch do not recommend use beyond 3/8") and I was not disappointed: It
was even worse. In the end I did most of the cut using a hacksaw with 18
tpi blade (A DeWalt past its prime). This in fact was the fastest way and
also the cleanest (except for the mess that the lubricating wax makes :-).

I specifically avoided using a 4-1/2" cut-off wheel in my grinder: I find
those things very messy and hard to control. This policy was vindicated
when I tried to cut off a couple of the corners of the said plate. It was
not that fast either.

Oddly enough I find using the hacksaw less fatiguing than any of the other
tools: something about the better posture and rhythmic dynamic movement as
opposed to having to hold a vibrating tool still.

Although I do not expect to have to cut this sort of material in future
very often it got me thinking: Say one needed an even longer cut - 6" to
8". What would be a good low cost ($200) alternative:
1) A corded recip saw with a 14 tpi blade - something like Milwaukee
6563-21 for $200
2) A portable band saw - no name off EBay for $110 including shipping.
This will cut only 4-1/2 by 4-1/2" so presumably the cut would have to be
done from two directions.
3) Put a abrasive disk in a circular saw with a decent motor and an all
metal construction (I could not do that today with my cordless as the
guards are plastic) - all for less than $100.

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC