Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Thoughts for the day

Tim, I've read your comments regarding the Smithy machine and your present
shaft project.

Looking thru past RCM posts regarding Smithy machines will give you an idea
of what others have done/do to compensate for the large distance between the
spindle and table.
Another source of info for combo machines is the Chaski 3in1 forum.

Basically, the table's work surface must be raised with something that's
rigid. This is about the only practical approach to working on small parts.

I bought a used Smithy 1220XL machine several years ago, as a second machine
to my 9x20 lathe (had drill press and other machines, also). The XL model
has a larger table than the earlier versions with the small, square table.

The original Smithy owner had used a section of 4x4" 1/8" wall tubing to
elevate the crappy original "angle milling vise", which was barely adequate
to even work with, for crude machining. The add-on X-Y table with the round
base isn't worthwhile either.

I began purchasing various rigid accessories to use on the table that would
enable small parts to be machined with reasonable expectations of accuracy.
A 6" Phase II rotary table, a Palmgren single axis angle table and other
vises/items enable me to machine small parts fairly accurately with
repeatability.

The oddly-slotted table requires additional clamping accessories, some which
can be fabricated easily.

Additionally, the spindle absolutely needs to have an indicator added to see
changes in thousandths, as the dial markings are worthless for anything
other than drilling.

BTW, the x and y dials aren't very useful either, at least on my older
machine with metric leadscrews.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Thought 1: "Welding rod machines pretty nice"

Thought 2: "I must be demented, or have low standards"

Thought 3: "Never again will I buy a Smithy"

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services