Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Cutting steel plate

On Sep 4, 12:15*pm, wrote:

My first choice would be the 4x6 bandsaw. *You can use it in the
vertical position with the auxilary table for longer cuts as long as
the width of the offcut doesn't exceed the width of the throat. *Not
fast but less taxing than a long hacksaw session would be. *My HF cost
about $90 after discount and coupon, well worth it 8 years ago.

Stan

Mine too, as long as I know that it's mild steel without hardened
spots. Second choice is the abrasive chop saw which will cut or at
least not be damaged by hard steel. The cheap discount-store wheel on
it chokes at about 1" wide steel. Angle cuts well with the corner up
but not with one leg flat.

I used to think that the abrasive saw was better for thin tubing until
I tried cutting 3/4" conduit with a 14TPI blade on the bandsaw. I
lowered the head by hand slowly rather than using the counterbalanced
feed.