Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Cutting steel plate

On Sep 2, 10:20*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I found myself in need to cut 1/2" mild steel plate today. The cut was about
4-3/4".
I tried first with my only reciprocating saw which is 18V cordless and a
Lenox 18 tpi blade (the only one I had on hand). The cut progressed very
slowly. I thought I would try my Bosch 1590 jig-saw not expecting much
(Bosch do not recommend use beyond 3/8") and I was not disappointed: It was
even worse. In the end I did most of the cut using a hacksaw with 18 tpi
blade (A DeWalt past its prime). This in fact was the fastest way and also
the cleanest (except for the mess that the lubricating wax makes :-).

I specifically avoided using a 4-1/2" cut-off wheel in *my grinder: I find
those things very messy and hard to control. This policy was vindicated when
I tried to cut off a couple of the corners of the said plate. It was not
that fast either.

Oddly enough I find using the hacksaw less fatiguing than any of the other
tools: something about the better posture and rhythmic dynamic movement as
opposed to having to hold a vibrating tool still.

Although I do not expect to have to cut this sort of material in future very
often it got me thinking: Say one needed an even longer cut - 6" to 8". What
would be a good low cost ($200) alternative:
1) A corded recip saw with a 14 tpi blade - something like Milwaukee 6563-21
for $200
2) A portable band saw - no name off EBay for $110 including shipping. This
will cut only 4-1/2 by 4-1/2" so presumably the cut would have to be done
from two directions.
3) Put a abrasive disk in a circular saw with a decent motor and an all
metal construction (I could not do that today with my cordless as the guards
are plastic) - all for less than $100.

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

My first choice would be the 4x6 bandsaw. You can use it in the
vertical position with the auxilary table for longer cuts as long as
the width of the offcut doesn't exceed the width of the throat. Not
fast but less taxing than a long hacksaw session would be. My HF cost
about $90 after discount and coupon, well worth it 8 years ago.

Stan