Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Cutting steel plate

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I found myself in need to cut 1/2" mild steel plate today. The cut was
about 4-3/4".
I tried first with my only reciprocating saw which is 18V cordless and a
Lenox 18 tpi blade (the only one I had on hand). The cut progressed very
slowly. I thought I would try my Bosch 1590 jig-saw not expecting much
(Bosch do not recommend use beyond 3/8") and I was not disappointed: It
was even worse. In the end I did most of the cut using a hacksaw with 18
tpi blade (A DeWalt past its prime). This in fact was the fastest way and
also the cleanest (except for the mess that the lubricating wax makes :-).

I specifically avoided using a 4-1/2" cut-off wheel in my grinder: I find
those things very messy and hard to control. This policy was vindicated
when I tried to cut off a couple of the corners of the said plate. It was
not that fast either.

Oddly enough I find using the hacksaw less fatiguing than any of the other
tools: something about the better posture and rhythmic dynamic movement as
opposed to having to hold a vibrating tool still.

Although I do not expect to have to cut this sort of material in future
very often it got me thinking: Say one needed an even longer cut - 6" to
8". What would be a good low cost ($200) alternative:
1) A corded recip saw with a 14 tpi blade - something like Milwaukee
6563-21 for $200
2) A portable band saw - no name off EBay for $110 including shipping.
This will cut only 4-1/2 by 4-1/2" so presumably the cut would have to be
done from two directions.
3) Put a abrasive disk in a circular saw with a decent motor and an all
metal construction (I could not do that today with my cordless as the
guards are plastic) - all for less than $100.

Thanks,

I have a cheap Black & Decker 7 1/4" circular saw I have used for years with
an abrasive blade for cutting steel. I think I bought the saw at K-Mart for
29.95. 17 years ago. I never put a wood blade in that saw. All I use it
for is quick portable steel cuts. I don't know how long the blades would
last doing thicker stuff, but I have cut tons of lighter angler up 1/4" and
C-channel upto 4" with it.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com