Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Cutting steel plate

Ignoramus27629 wrote:
On 2008-09-04, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus27629 wrote:
On 2008-09-04, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:48:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

On 2008-09-03, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus27629 wrote:

I cut most stuff with my mill these days.

How?

Let's say that I want to cut a pipe, I put it in a vise and cut
it with an endmill.

So you have e.g. a 1/2" kerf?

I'm just asking - unlike other posters I'm trying very hard to be
friendly and keep the spirit of community alive.

I saw the metal-cutting table saw at HF today, on sale for $80.
That leaves only a 1/8" kerf and is likely MUCH quicker.

And a lot noisier.

I gotta say , my $75 pawnshop portaband (with mods for vert use) is
quieter than my mill , gives less waste , and is lots quicker ...

What kind of mill do you have?

I picked up an RF45 clone a couple of months ago (gear drive , square
dovetail column , 9X32 bed and 800 pounds) . Biggest my limited space (well
, and budget) would allow . You would not believe what I got stuffed into my
8 X 12 foot shed ... pretty much a complete mini-machine shop .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"