Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Shut off water when washer not in use?

"Steve" wrote in message
est...
Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:58:58 -0700, Steve
wrote:

Jerry wrote:

All of this was caused by the failure of a part that costs less than $5
at Home Depot. For under $7 you can get one with a safety shut-off
valve. Guess which one I bought. I replaced the toilet supply line in
the other bathroom as well because the plastic nut on that one was
cracked too, but hadn't started to leak yet.

Suggestion: inspect those things often!

--Steve

The neighbor across the street went on a 3-week vacation to come back
to an ice-maker line burst. Ruined the carpeting, flooring, and
basement ceiling, total $16K back in 1996. Insurance covered most of
the cost, but nobody needs the hassle. Some folks turn off the main
water supply before leaving for vacation.

Back in the 70's the ruptured toilet line happened to my boss while he was
on vacation - in that case the repair cost was under $4K.

In our case the insurance co. paid the company that did the cleanup about
$8K, then paid another company $3K or $4K to do some of the work I
couldn't handle, and paid me another $14.5K to settle the claim. We used
the money to upgrade to engineered hardwood flooring to replace carpeting
in the bedrooms, living room, back hall and family room, and ceramic tile
to replace vinyl in the bathrooms. We did all the installation and
painting ourselves.

--Steve

A couple of years ago went on a 3 day vacation. Opened the front door and
was greeted to the sound of running water. Toilet flapper had a small leak
and when the water got low enough it refilled. One time the shutoff valve
(float) stuck and the water never stopped running. Most was handled by the
overflow tube and the rest came out the flush handle. Result--Two full
bathrooms completely wiped out (one below the other), the bottom one right
down to the bare studs including the tile floor. Total cost: $25,000, I
paid $200 deductable. Now, even for overnight, I shut off the water
supply--just the simple flip of a ball valve where the water enters the
house.
For almost 4 months--washed in the kitchen sink, showered in the up
bathroom (tub) and used the toilet in the down bath.
Never say Never!
MLD