Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to flapper in toilet tank?

"Twice Retired" wrote in message

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Calab wrote:
I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on
our three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after
a few months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it
seats. The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I
get leaks after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of
repairs. Any idea on what I could use?

Hi,
That is little intereting. In the past 15 years since I have had this
house built, I replaced 3 of them between 4 bathrooms. I don't know what
it might be but it sure does not sound right.

Sounds like a cleaner that is added. I had a similar problem about 10
years ago and it was a cleaner my wife was adding to the tank. No problems
since stopping the addition.

I've had the same experience with those blue tablets that you put in the
tank. I had lots of problems with everything in there until a plumber told
me to stop using anything in the tank. No problems since.