Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to flapper in toilet tank?

On 9/3/2008 12:08 PM Calab spake thus:

I'm getting very tired of constantly replacing the rubber flappers on our
three toilets. I've tried different suppliers and grades, but after a few
months they seem to distort and start leaking.

I know that there is no buildup on the flapper, or the hole where it seats.
The pull chain isn't snagging and holding up flapper. Why would I get leaks
after a few months?

Anyhow, I'm looking for an alternative for the flapper on my toilets.
Something that will last a good while before needing any kind of repairs.
Any idea on what I could use?

The last time I worked on a problem like this (a toilet that wouldn't
stop leaking even with new flappers), the culprit turned out to be a bad
seat. Not hard to replace, and should solve this vexing problem for you.

- Paulo Freire