Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Shut off water when washer not in use?

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:28:48 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:

Shaun Eli wrote:
They make metal-braided hoses that have a built-in valve that shuts
down if it detects a broken hose (I assume it works by having a flow-
limiter on the far end and if the flow through a broken hose is more
than that, a valve at the near end shuts down).

They do take a little longer to fill the washing machine (the flow is
slightly less) but it's worth the extra couple of minutes it takes for
the wash to finish for peace-of-mind. By the way, if you do use
these, you're defeating the purpose of them if you turn the water off.

They're not expensive-- got mine at HD.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com

I have the old cheap hoses on my washer. Never had one break, don't
care if it does since it's in the basement.

By the time you return after a weeks vacation the water will be up to
the first floor. By then it will have done a few other things you may
not appreciate.

Oil tank in your basement? Well, it got floated off the floor,
breaking the fuel line to the boiler. Now you have diesel mixed in
with that water. You can't just pump that out with a sump pump. The
EPA is gonna charge you a few hundred thou to deal with it correctly.

Then the water flooded your burner, ruining it. Oh, yeah, the diesel
fumes have now permeated the entire house. That smell will be there
until the day you tear the house down.

Now the water has risen up to the breaker box. zzzzzzzt! Uh-oh! Now
the diesel fumes have ignited with a big WHOOMP as the water continues
to climb the basement stairs.

etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, a broken washer hose in the basement is nothing to worry
about...