Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Cutting steel plate

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:20:51 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

I found myself in need to cut 1/2" mild steel plate today. The cut
was about 4-3/4".
I tried first with my only reciprocating saw ...

You want faster? Buy a bandsaw, or a Portaband

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

I picked up a used portaband at the pawn shop for under a c-note , then
built a stand to mount it as a vert saw from scrap . Biggest limitation for
me is it only makes straight cuts , I need curves sometimes . I can buzz
thru a piece of 4140 stock over 2" diameter in a couple of minutes , using a
HF variable pitch band (three for twenty bucks or so ).
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"